Sunday 2 September 2012

Vegan Egg Salad with Raw Bread


One of the hardest foods to recreate as a vegan is a sandwich. Yes, the simple sandwich. I only find this because you have no cheese or meat to put in your sandwich, so it is hard to make it filling and substantial. Now, don't get me wrong, I like my sandwiches with veggies and there are tons of things that you can stick in it, but sometimes I want something that fills me up more and feels like a real sandwich, without having to use fake cheeses made form soy or fake meats. Than, it hit me: egg salad, but not with eggs :O. And all I needed to do this was..

Eggs/others:
85g of tofu
Bread (I made raw bread; check out blog: Raw Sunflower Bread for recipe)
Pickles
Avocado
Garlic Powder
Black Pepper
Sea Salt
Ground Coriander

Mayo
1/4 cup canola oil
1 tsp mustard
Salt/pepper
2/3 tbsp Maple Syrup
1/2 tsp White vinegar
1/4 cup Almond milk/ Soy milk
(I'll link below where I based mine off of)




First, take your canola oil and milk and blend it up in a mixer. Add in the mustard, salt and pepper, and Maple Syrup. Than, add in half of the vinegar, blend it for 10 seconds, and than add the other half, blending it for another 30 seconds. This gives it a thicker consistency. Refrigerate for 30 minutes before continuing the next steps.


When your mayo has cooled, cut up your tofu into little cubes that resemble eggs that have been hard boiled and cut. Take a few spoonfuls of mayo and mix it in with the tofu, and than sprinkle some garlic, coriander, black pepper, and salt on top. Make sure you don't put too much mayo or it will over power everything.

On your bread, put some avocado and place your pickles - slice them first - on top. Slather on the tofu egg-salad mixture, and devour greedily.

Eggcellent fun to share and eat,
Julia

Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aga09AgDBiU

No comments:

Post a Comment