Wednesday 29 August 2012

A Mom's Birthday Cake

Yesterday was my mother's birthday, and of course, that meant the opportunity/requirement for me to bake something. I was going to bake a vegan cake, but instead I decided since the meal was vegan she should be allowed to have her buttery cake which she so dearly loves. I made a simple vanilla cake but spiced it up a bit, and went a little more health on the toppings.

Instead of decorating it with fondant and icing like I usually do, I decided to play down the sugar and incorporate fruit instead. First on the bottom, before I poured in the batter, I made a bottom nut crust. It was made up of..
3/4cup walnuts chopped in a food processor
3/4 almonds chopped in a food processor
5 dates chopped in the food processor
1 tbsp canola oil
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp nutmeg
2 tbsp maple syrup

All mixed together and firmly pressed down on the bottom of the pan. I than poured the batter onto of that. When the cake was done was done, I cut a shallow bowl about an inch into the cake going all the way around. In here I filled it with..
5 peaches browned in a pan with canola oil and..
1 tbsp brown sugar
2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp allspice
1 tsp nutmeg
1/2 cup dates soaked and blended into a paste with water and 1 tsp cinnamon.

I than, to finish it off, I chopped up 1/4 cup of walnuts and 1/4 pecans with 1 tsp cinnamon (in a food processor), and sprinkled it over the top.

Everyone loved it and said that it was the best I had ever made flavour wise of a cake. My dad loved it too, and he hates cake and sugary things. So I was very happy with it, and I encourage others to try it out. The vanilla cake recipe I got was form a Cake Boss book, which I'll attach the link for.

Enjoy you non Veganers!
Julia

Link:
www.chapters.indigo.ca/books/Baking-Cake-Boss-Buddys-Best-Buddy-Valastro/9781439183526-item.html?ikwid=cake+boss&ikwsec=Home

http://www.rd.com/food/the-cake-bosss-vanilla-cake-recipe/

No comments:

Post a Comment