Monday 20 August 2012

Date night dessert


Date night! Yummy! I don't mean awkward candle-lit meal over chinese food, I mean, date as in the fruit! Now that is something to get excited for! Dates are AWESOME for desserts, and I recommend them to anyone who has a serious sweet tooth. They are so sugary it is unbelievable, and taste great with practically all foods.

Last night, I made my delicious date spread to fill some vegan cookie sandwiches! So, I thought I'd share my recipe for an awesome date spread that you can use at breakfast with your oatmeal, as jam, or any with any other recipe that calls for a sweet awakening! It's raw vegan friendly too!

Let's get sugary with....
1 Cup of dates
Water
1/2 medium apple
1/2 tsp Cinnamon

First, soak your dates in a bowl of room temperature water for 4-6 hours. When they feel soft, put them in a blender - without the water- and add the apple. Blend them up adding small amounts of water when your blender begins to struggle; if you don't need to add water, thumbs up to you! Finally, poor the spread into a bowl and stir in the cinnamon. If you want to add more cinnamon, knock yourself out.

I put the spread in-between two vegan sandwich cookies. I got the recipe for the cookies in this awesome vegan cookie book I have. It is a pretty simple recipe and nothing unique (kind of like a short bread, sugar cookie) so I won't post how to make them, unless someone comments and asks for it. I will however put a link to the cookie book I have. I highly recommend it to anyone who loves and misses cookies as a vegan, but I do warn you that vegan or not they are cookies, and are not the best for you. This book was given to me by a very good friend when I became vegan, and I have used it many times since for vegan dinners I have cooked for my family and friends.

So try out the dates! And check out the book!!!!!

Getting sweeter,

Julia
Link: http://www.amazon.com/The-Vegan-Cookie-Connoisseur-Delicious/dp/161608121X

No comments:

Post a Comment