Thursday 30 August 2012

Sick Julia Stew

I hate being sick. I especially hate when you have a cold, that is accompanied by a stuffed up nose that actually hurts it is so stuffed, a cold body, and not to mention a throbbing headache that no amount of water, Advil, or head massages can cure. Yes, I am sick and suffering from all of the above symptoms. Despite my attempts to cure all of my symptoms, I still feel like someone ran over me with a car. However, I did make myself an amazing vegan stew that really gave me temporary relief from my symptoms - the chills, the nose, and the headache - better than any bottle of pills.

Here is the secret to an amazing stew that will truly help kick the sick out of you..

1 cup of vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups of water
1 cup of cooked kale
6 Baby carrots
1/2 cup Alfalfa sprouts (optional)
1/2 zucchini spirolized
1/4 cup tomato puree
2 tbsp red onion spirolized on finely chopped
1/3 cup enoki mushrooms (champignon mushrooms, or just any other mushroom of your choice)

First, let's talk the alfalfa sprouts and the enoki mushrooms. You are most likely unfamiliar with these foods, and are thinking you are going to have to go to some scary health food store where the owner has pink hair down to her hips and a long skirt, but, you won't have to. You can find both of these ingredients in practically every store. I shop at Sobeys, and let me tell you their selection is AWEFUL. If you cannot find them, for what ever reason, forget about the alfalfa sprouts- or substitute with endive or something green- and use a different mushroom.

Sprouts (above); Enoki (Below)



Now to get cooking. Poor in the broth and the water into a pot and turn on high. I make my own vegetable broth, so if you are buying it, watch out for the salt!!!!! Eventually, I will post about how to make vegetable broth...or at least..now I will. Anyhow, add in the onion and tomato puree, and once it comes to a boil lower the temperature to medium so it just simmers. Add in your carrots and let them cook for 3 minutes. Than, add in your alfalfa sprouts and cooked kale. Wait about 2 minutes and than add in the mushrooms. Once the mushrooms look cooked, or taste cooked, turn off the heat and add in the zucchini. You leave the spirolized zucchini for last because you do not want it to turn to mush, and the heat of the stew will just cook them enough.

Finally, finish off the entire pot, because it only has 125 calories - yes the entire pot- so enjoy and fill your tummy (calories may vary depending on the brand of broth however, mine is about 15 calories a cup).

Watching Julie and julia with my stew,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment