Friday 26 October 2012

Olive Pine Nut Salad

When I have my fats on the weekends, I really love to include them in salads using nuts, seeds and olives. This is like the pesto pasta, but in salad form. It is truly delicious and so many people love this, so it is great for family meals too. I always love to try out new recipes on my family, partially because they are forgiving if I really make something gross- not too often I swear ;) - but also cooking your food for non vegans is a great way to introduce them to your lifestyle. If you are someone who has parents who don't accept your eating habits, cooking for them is a great way to show them your knowledge about what you are doing, and if what you make them is really good, they'll be more accepting. When I first became a vegan, I had several vegan dinner parties to introduce my relatives to my new lifestyle, and therefore, they are all supportive. So try this out on them, by grabbing some..

1 big bowl of mixed greens (romaine)
1/4 head romaine lettuce
1/2 cup pitted black olives
1/4 cup pine nuts
2 tbsp hemp seeds

Dressing:
1/3 cup lemon juice
2 tbsp Agave nectar
2 tbsp white vinegar

First, mix together the dressing ingredients so they can marinate. Then, put all your lettuce in a big bowl, and add in your pine nuts and hemp seeds. Hemp seeds are a great source of protein and they also have a salty flavour to them, so they kind of taste like cheese :3. Chop the olives and add them as well. Pour over top the dressing and mix well. Serve to yourself, friends and family:)

Yum,
Julia

No comments:

Post a Comment